All the trilogy movies seem to be headed for New Zealand. First it was Lord of the Rings trilogy, then The Hobbit. The latest to join the list is “Avatar”. Avatar which was originally planned as a two movie project has been turned into a trilogy.
Originally only parts of the second Avatar were to be shot in New Zealand. But the plans have changed. Now the trilogy will be completely filmed in New Zealand, as confirmed by the Government.
There are many reasons for the film makers choosing New Zealand.
- Exotic Locations – New Zealand has one of the best locations. Everyone who saw New Zealand in Lord of the Rings series will agree to this fact. Diversity in a small area add to the value of filming.
- Financial Advantages – The government has special incentives for international crew. A 20 percent cash grant attracts new as well as established film makers. Also there is 40 percent grant for co-production in New Zealand. These policy measures have helped in attracting big banners to New Zealand.
- Expert support crew – Due to policy measures, there is no dearth of support crew talent in the country. It is convenient for the Directors and Producers who can easily get skillful people.
- Post Production Value – New Zealand has excellent post Production studios. The visual and action effects can be done right here.
- Snow in the summers – When it is summer in Northern Hemisphere (Europe and United States), it is winter here. This helps the film makers to make up the lost time.
The advantage of filming is attracting and encouraging Film making from all over the world.